Greater Than Business Podcast – Episode 018


This is episode 18 of the Greater Than Business Podcast. And today we're going to be talking all about why I started my business. So this is an interesting topic because this is not my first business so I've debated on if I should go way back to the beginning of why I became an entrepreneur and then kind of transition into how I started this business. So I kind of decided that if I'm going to put it out there I might as well start at the beginning. So if you don't already have a cup of coffee or something cozy that you are curled up in or if you are running on the treadmill or walking or driving, this episode might be a little bit longer than usual. So just be prepared that you may have to pause because this is, I'm basically going to give you the full story as much as I can at least I don't want to give you all of the details cause I don't want to bore you half to death.

But so here we go. Basically the reason why I became an entrepreneur is because my son was born early, so I was super, not super young, but I was fairly young when my husband and I got pregnant with our first child. And we were, I think I was 22 at the time. He had just graduated from university and I was still, um, I think I was going into my third year. So by no means was I ready to be having a baby. And here we are found out that we're having a baby and I'm trying to figure out basically how I'm going to finish my nursing degree, how I'm going to continue going to university and what was going to happen with all of the unknowns. So basically I decided I was going to take a year off. I got a job at a hotel where I was going to be working.

I actually had already got the job at the hotel before I found out that I was pregnant and it was supposed to just kind of be a summer job that I was going to transition into working at the hotel while I was still, um, finishing off my last real year of university where I could still have a job and I wouldn't be essentially working for free doing placements and all that fun stuff, but regardless, that's not really part of the story. Um, so I decided that I was going to get this part time job and basically that would hold me over the summer and get me a lot of hours, save up some money, do that kind of thing. Then in June found out that I was pregnant and due in February. So basically I decided that I was gonna just keep going as best I could and fast forward to December 10th of 2008 and I'm not due till February.

I start getting these weird pains in my back and I keep thinking that I must have sat funny at my husband's basketball game and I must've hurt my back in some way. I just, I basically didn't understand what was going on. Long story short, it ended up that my back pain was my kidney shutting down. I had a weird pain that felt like heartburn in the front of my chest and that was my liver shutting down and before I knew it, I was being airlifted three hours away from my home to a trauma center that would be able to handle a premature baby plus a deathly ill woman, which was me. I ended up having preeclampsia, which is pregnancy induced hypertension. And basically what that means is my blood pressure was skyrocketing, my body was going through crazy trauma, and the only way to fix it is to deliver the baby and remove the placenta.

Basically your body kind of starts thinking that your placenta is a foreign object and it starts freaking out because it needs to get rid of this object in your body, but it doesn't realize that your placenta is holding a baby and that you kind of sorta maybe slightly needed. So I probably said this completely jib or I've probably definitely butchered all of the medical terminology in this, but please keep in mind during this I was in a coma. I don't know a lot of the details. I haven't really gotten too medically involved in all of this because it was really traumatizing for me at the time. So basically, needless to say, my son was born on December 14th, 2008 and he was nine weeks early and weighed three pounds 12 ounces. But he was incredibly long and incredibly big for how early he was. So that was a blessing in disguise because he was definitely bigger than he should have been.

And it ended up working out that he was born to be a fighter, which is going to come in handy for later on in his premature journey. So everything was going great for the first couple of weeks. He was super, super small, but he just, he needed to learn to breathe and obviously get off breathing machines, gained some weight, get bigger. Basically we were playing this game of one step forward, two steps back, one step forward, five steps back, five steps forward, one step back and just constant unknowns in the an ICU. Finally he gets big enough, we get transferred back to our hometown hospital and then from there things started going South, so it ended up that when he was transferred, they didn't continue his antibiotics for a minor infection that he had and it ended up that that infection settled in his bones, so he ended up getting osteomyelitis, which is a bone infection and then we got transferred back to the original and ICU that we were in three hours away from home.

Once we got to that hospital, everything was basically just kind of a waiting game. We had to put them on three different antibiotics and we had to get a PICC line inserted in his arm so that he wouldn't have to keep constantly getting needles over and over and over again for Ivy sites. So we had to play the waiting game of getting the pick line in, which was proving hard to place in a tiny little baby because he didn't have very good veins to begin with. Sorry for the genetics buddy. And he also had already been poked a whole bunch because of various other Ivy sites and all of that stuff when he was itty-bitty and was first born. And basically it took forever to get the pick line in. They eventually had to put them to sleep and when they put him to sleep to put the PICC line in, he ended up having a um, apnea session and then all of a sudden they started thinking, Oh, we're going to have to put them back on breathing machines.

And it just ended up that they gave him a little bit too much morphine and that was all it was. His reaction to morphine was just to like skip a couple breaths and but as a premature baby, that's not a good thing. So anyways, not going to bore you with all the details. I'm trying to fast forward this as fast as I possibly can. Basically he had to be put on three antibiotics, Vancomyocin SFO, Taksim and ANFA terrorists and [inaudible]. And those three antibiotics are probably the harshest course of antibiotics that you could go on even as an adult, let alone a premature baby that's not technically even supposed to be born yet. But they put them on those because the bone infection was pretty severe. They didn't know what type of an infection it was and they didn't know how to test for the infection without trying to pull out some of the infection from his joints.

And by doing that, we could have actually ended up pulling out cartilage and a whole bunch of other really important things. So they decided that it was better safe than, sorry, put them on these three antibiotics and he would be on them for six more weeks. So our whole goal at this point was basically get him back to our hometown hospital. Once we got them back to her hometown hospital, at least I would be near my husband again who had to eventually go back to work and I would then have family and friends that could able be able to come visit me and support me at the hospital while I was sitting there, literally watching my baby in a little tiny crib, try and do baby things cause it, there wasn't really a whole lot else we could do with them. So I'm really kind of glossing this over and I'm fast forwarding through it.

But basically he was born December 14th and at this point it brings us to February 9th, 2009 which was his due date. So all of that crazy stuff happened between when he was born and when he was due. And then finally on his due date we got transferred back to our hometown hospital. And at this point we thought, okay, we're in the clear, we just need to wait till the middle of March and then we'll be able to go home. We'll have our baby, he'll be completely normal, everything will be fine and we can get back to life of actually having this third family member. What we didn't realize was that once again in the transfer something went wrong and we found out later that what it was was when they inputted his medication into the chart at the new hospital, they forgot to move a decimal place. So he was overdosed from February 9th, 2009 until February 14th, 2009.

That was a really big overdose so roughly five days of being overdosed by a decimal place. So instead of given 40 milligrams of Vancomyocin, he was given 400 milligrams. So if you are at all familiar with math or medicine or the severity of Vancomyocin, you're probably wondering, Oh my God, how did her baby survive? Which is honestly a question we have asked ourselves for the past 10 years and something that we have been questioned by doctor after doctor after doctor that meets our son. They are completely confused on how he is a perfectly healthy baby, no complications, no problems. And how on earth did he survive? And it's just become recent where it's be the fact that he's 10 years old now, the doctors are actually coming out with more real feelings on this and they've literally told us like, I'm, I don't want, I didn't want to tell you this at the time, but your child should be dead.

And like we've fully now realized that in all honesty he should have died and thankfully he did not and he is alive and thriving. So I'll get into that a little bit more later. But basically after that overdose happened, we were rushed to the hospital for sick children in Toronto, otherwise known as sick kids. And if you have never heard of sick kids and you are looking for a charity to donate to, I will link to that in the show notes because sick kids has the biggest place in my heart because of everything that they did for my son during those first few days of the unknown. When we were in the CCU had no what was going on. Basically, we're assuming the worst prepping for the worst being told, the worst. And somehow he survived and we basically owe everything to a few doctors that saved his life.

There was Barbarie Connelly I believe was her name, she was our radiologist that put his central line in. Dr Christoph Licht who is a great nephrology doctor who looked after saving my son's kidneys. He is phenomenal. There was a few other doctors. Dr Lamar was another one who ended up writing a journal on our son's whole journey, but basically those doctors, without them, I would not have my son right now and I am truly, truly grateful and thankful for them. Every time we see them we let them know, especially Dr. Lynch, who we have had the privilege of seeing multiple times since. And I just, I love that man so much and I don't know if he realizes how much, but it's definitely a lot. So without name dropping any more people, those, those are the three that for sure stand out to me that night of pure chaos on February 14th, 2009 when we got told there had been an error and I remember getting that phone call advice, start talking about it too much.

I'm going to get incredibly emotional. So I'm just going to gloss over that part now and basically let you know that by February 22nd, our son was able to come home with us. He was still attached to um, basically a portable pic-line device where he had to still be receiving medicine through that, through his, I don't know, it wasn't through a central line. It was just through his line and he came home with a little pack attached to him that blood pump, his drugs. We had a home care nurse that came with us and she would come over a couple of times a day changes medication. And by March 12th of 2009, we finally had our normal healthy wireless baby. So even after all of that, we still, we're constantly worried about when the effects of the overdose would happen because the severity of the overdose, as I said, was massive.

So I've basically ever since then lived in fear and if you haven't guessed it, that is why I started my business. So at this point I had two years completed of a four year nursing degree. I had absolutely no idea what I was going to be able to do with that because it wasn't really any sort of degree. I just basically taken classes and I didn't know what else to do and I definitely wasn't going to trust anyone with my child. So what I decided to do was start a home daycare and instead of just starting a babysitting agency, I actually did full out daycare. I had curriculum sent to my house, I made sure that all of the kids were well looked after and I also charge less than everyone else so that I was constantly full, which then I got a huge wake up call when I realized or when I moved to a new city and I raised my rates and then I realized that if I raised my rates I could get a different set of clientele, ones that would work around my hours versus work around there.

Well obviously they were still working on their hours, but I was able to bring in a different set of clients that were working more normal hours. Whereas before I was trying to bring in clients that I didn't care when they were working. I just wanted clients and if I had to work 14 hours a day, then that was okay because at least I was getting paid a whopping $20 a day and yeah, for that was a lot of work for definitely not a lot of money. So basically it taught me a huge, huge life lessons by running this daycare. And I did it for I think about six years and I ended up having a daughter. In the meantime, her birth was not nearly as traumatic as my sons. She was born within an hour and 41 minutes from start to finish. We didn't even realize when start was started at this point, she basically was out of me within 20 minutes of getting to the hospital and realizing I was definitely in labor and that I had an incredibly high pain tolerance.

So when she was born there was no drugs, no epidural, not even gas, like the laughing gas. It was just all of a sudden I had this baby in my arms and I remember looking up at my husband and going, what the F just happened? Like I just got to the hospital and now I have a baby and I don't remember how she got out of me because it was so fast and so quick. And honestly, if I was to have a third, which I am not ever going to have a third, but if I was going to have a third, I would have done it 10 times over without any drugs because my first son's birth was overly traumatic. I was in a coma in and out of consciousness, couldn't push, couldn't do anything, and yeah, hands down. I would do it again without drugs.

But that being said, I'm never having a third, so I guess I can say whatever I want at this point and you would all just have to take my word for it. But anyways, so when I got to the end of running my daycare and decided that I, it was no longer fitting for me, I started looking towards the online world and I started looking at creating a blog and I wanted to have a for-profit blog and I thought that that was for sure the way I was going to get to six figures the fastest. And I started doing research and I started toying around with ideas. I started thinking about going into business coaching because I had run a successful business, the daycare, I had learned a whole bunch of life lessons from running the daycare about how to raise your rates to attract the proper clients, make sure that you're always attracting your ideal client and making sure that I understood marketing and even website design.

Like I had already figured that out as well. Not to any grand scale of professionalism, but at least I was able to do the basics and get a website out there. So I thought, okay, maybe I could do that. Maybe I could just do some consulting. Maybe I could teach people how to be better organized. Because I was super, super organized from running the daycare and I was basically trying to figure out anything that I could possibly do that would be a business that would allow me to stay at home with my kids because that 100% hands down was my biggest, um, Y in my business and why I had to do what I had to do at the time. And of course once I started doing my first business, which I was, I actually decided that I was going to become an online business manager because that took over the fact that I knew how to run a business.

I had already kind of got my feet wet in the online world with doing a couple other things. I'd taken a boat load of training courses on running online businesses and I basically was slowly becoming, not an expert by any means, but definitely someone that could teach a newbie a couple things. So I thought that's what I'm going to do, that's how I'm going to get started. And I finally got my first client and it was an amazing opportunity. And the reason that I got that client was because I had actually learned in fusion soft and found out that Infusionsoft isn't as easy as I thought it was to use and run. But because I found it easy, people would pay me to help run their accounts. And that is when I finally hit my stride in the online business world. I figured out that infusion soft was complicated to certain people.

And then it wasn't complicated to me. I could figure out anything and everything within that system and it only made me better at my job by doing so. Long story short, I ended up doing that. I ended up getting a whole bunch of clients. Everything was going very, very smoothly. I felt like I was doing a great job and that's when the burnout hit. I got super greedy and decided that I wanted more clients, more money, and I'd hired team underneath me. Well, the team that I hired backfired dramatically and I basically hit the point of exhaustion and burnout because I took on all of these extra clients, assuming that I'd have the perfect team working under me. But then I realized that the team that I hired didn't actually understand infusion soft as well as I thought they did. And it was, it was my own fault for hiring them.

I should have never ever done it. But I did. And it was a learning experience. And after that point I realized that I needed to let go of a few of my clients and basically focus on myself, my business, my growth. And stop worrying about trying to feel successful when it wasn't actually what I wanted to do to be successful. So last week I talked about defining success on your own terms. And that episode basically stems from this secondary experience that I had starting a business thinking that in order to be successful, I had to be making a certain amount of dollars per month. I had to have so many clients on my roster, and then I started realizing that, no, that's not what I need to be successful. For me to be successful, I need to go back to my roots. I need to remember why I started my business and what success means to me.

Success to me is not working 14 hours a day for barely any pay. Success to me is working for clients that I love, helping them to push their businesses to the next level. Well, still getting paid decently and having time for myself to do whatever I want during the day and having the ability to shut down my computer at three o'clock when my kids get off the bus. So that in a nutshell is kind of why I started my business now to understand why I started my current business. I was just kind of touching on that in the last sentence, but basically I decided after that moment of essentially a giant breakdown that what I needed to do is take a step back and realize what I wanted to do, what my definition of success is and what my why in my businesses. And that is how I started to Flow Automation.

So Flow Automation, I wanted to reach more people, but I wanted to reach more people in a better way for me. So instead of me trying to work one on one with all of these people, I wanted to create a one to many business model and that is now what I have. So I had to obviously take a huge income cut. I had to take a huge, I guess not really an ego cut, but kind of like a reality check and realize that I couldn't be behind the scenes of all these crazy successful businesses anymore. That I could only pick a handful of them to stay with. And that I needed to pick the ones that aligned best with my values. So for me, the two clients that I decided to stick with, both had children, both had significant others and both had successful businesses but didn't value their businesses above their families.

And that was essentially my criteria. So unfortunately if one of some of my clients didn't have children, then they were no longer a priority for me because they didn't understand sick days and going to baseball, going to hockey, being able to travel with my kids, all of that stuff, they just didn't get it. And unfortunately if they didn't, if they couldn't get it, and although they understood it and by no means were they ever mean or rude or anything like that, but they just never really got it. And I'm sure down the road should they have kids or anything like that. And eventually they get it, then they'll understand why I did what I did and why I had all these weird excuses all the time. Not for not getting work done but just kind of like, I can't hop on a call right now because I have a kid beside me who may puke at any moment, so I physically would love to get on a call with you but I just can't right this moment and things like that that they just wouldn't understand like what does it matter if your kid pukes on you?

Like that's, you can still do a call but they wouldn't actually understand that it's a lot more than just having that happen. There's cleanup and soothing and all of that other fun stuff that I'm not going to get into. But if you're a mom or a parent, you get it. You know what I'm talking about. And sometimes non parents just don't grasp that concept and to them their baby is their business and for me, I have three babies, I have my son, my daughter and my business and trust me, they are not necessarily in that order. I was going to say in that order, but that's not how I value them because it's definitely my kids are my first priority. Then my business and my dog and my cat are in there somewhere too because they definitely are in my priority list. But I think, I think they might people on my business, but they're definitely well taken care of and of course on top of all of that, my husband's in there too, so he needs to obviously have some of my attention and my space and if I was working with as many clients as I was, something had to give and unfortunately for me it was always my kids or my husband that I would neglect because they were the easiest for me to neglect, obviously not neglect, neglect, they were still getting fed, all of that other stuff, but it just was as far as my time went, they were being neglected.

I was still doing the bare minimum, but I wasn't doing anything extra for them. And that is why I had to start the business in the way that I have now where I work on my own terms. I work on basically when I want, how I want with the people that I want and I've switched it to a one to many business model so that I can help more people, but it doesn't sacrifice my time and that is the biggest thing for me. So basically that's kind of the sum down version of how and why I started my business. Kind of what led me here. It'll give you a little bit more of an insight into my mind and my mind frame when I'm talking and approaching certain subjects. You'll be able to understand why I do what I do, why I've structured my business in the way that I've structured it and hopefully it'll give you a little bit of personal side of me so that you can understand that if you are feeling the same way about your business, there's a way to get out of it.

You just need to find it. For me, what it was was realizing that I was neglecting my kids and my husband, and this all happened on a mastermind phone call when somebody said, who would you rather disappoint your family or your clients? And at that point I had to really do kind of a gut check and realize that my family were easier to disappoint, but they should not be the ones I want to disappoint. And as much as I don't want to dismiss, disappoint my clients because I am a huge people pleaser, it had to come to a point where I was going to start disappointing them. So it was better if I peacefully parted ways, help them to onboard someone new to take over for me and for me to focus back on to my family because I can't part ways with my family.

They're my family for life. And at the rate that I was going and as my children got older, it was just going to become a messy, messy situation. And it was not something that I wanted to be a part of. So I had to kind of put my foot down, set those boundaries with myself mostly and prioritize how and when I was going to work. And that is why I started my new business Flow Automation and why I am so much happier now and why I do the things that I do in the way that I do and why I started this podcast. Because I really want to share my message with everybody that I can. Anybody that will listen because I want you all to realize that you can have a successful business on your own terms. You can do what you want and still have monetary goals reached, um, financial goals reached obviously and still be able to do all of those things on your bucket list that you want to do with your family.

And that's essentially it. So I'm going to include a couple of links down in the show notes and you can find those and next week I am going to be diving into exactly why I chose to use Infusionsoft when I started my business. So I can't wait for you guys to listen to that episode. Thank you for listening to this one. I know that it was a little bit longer than usual, but I hope that you really got some insight into who I am, why I do what I do, and how I learned to run a better business after being literally on the brink of absolute utter chaos. And I hope that you guys really enjoyed this episode. So until next week, I hope that you have a great and productive week, and I'll talk to you soon.

Greater Than Business Podcast – Episode 018



For the full podcast and show notes, please go to

Share This